Wednesday, January 11, 2012

For Jessica Ahlquist

Jessica Ahlquist won her lawsuit today.

For anyone reading this who doesn't know, here's the backstory. Today, on January 11th, 2011, Jessica Ahlquist officially won her lawsuit against her public high school, Cranston High School West. The school had a large banner with a prayer posted prominently in the gym, with clear support of the Christian god. At least one parent (to my knowledge) had expressed concern over the prayer, but nothing had been done to take it down. Jessica finally decided that she wanted to take a stand. After unsuccessfully trying to talk to school and city administration, bigger actions were needed.Together with the ACLU, she brought a suit against her school to get the prayer taken down in compliance with the United States Constitution. Throughout the entire case, she's face obstacle after obstacle. Her classmates shunned her. She was mocked, both online and in-person. Idiotic protests were staged against her at her school. She has received messages from people threatening to rape or murder her (these people, of course, defending the "love of Christianity that Jessica is out to destroy!"). At every turn, the people around her have tried to knock her down. But she never gave up.

Thankfully, Jessica's family supported her the whole time (sadly unlike the case of Damon Fowler who was kicked out of his own home for standing up for his rights). Along with that, the atheist community came together to rally behind her, publicly support her, invite her to speak at conferences, and provide a never-ending stream of positive messages.

And after all her hard work, it finally paid off. Today she won her lawsuit, and the school has ten days to take down the unconstitutional prayer. Congratulations, Jessica! You've done more than most people ever do by the age of 16, or even their entire lives. You accomplished what you set out to do! You finally did it!

But congratulations aside. Thank you, Jessica. Because you didn't just fight for yourself.

You fought for me. For my right to a secular education that does not isolate me for my beliefs, nor my sister, my friends, or my future children. You stood up in a situation that I can't honestly say for sure that I would have. You stayed strong through obstacles, hatred, and ridicule that I don't know if I could have handled. You fought with more strength than I have ever had. I will always admire you, and strive to be like you.

You fought for all the non-Christians in America, who are often ignored or discriminated against.

You fought for all your fellow students who are too afraid to speak out, for fear of hatred and backlash.

You fought for atheists, in particular, as one of the most-hated, least-trusted, and misunderstood groups in America.

You fought, somewhat inadvertently, to improve the standing and respect of women within the atheistic community

You fought for the rights of everyone in America, even if they don't see it that way, for standing up for the constitutional rights this country was founded on.

You have fought to make this country something that I can finally start to be proud of.

You are truly an inspiration, and I will always remember your strength and courage. I hope someday I can be as remarkable as you are.
---
The atheist community has also started a scholarship fund to help Jessica further her education. If you'd like to donate, you can use the widget below.


Also, here is the link to the court's decision.

2 comments:

  1. Don't understand? Feel free to ask me anything if you feel like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome to see kids standing up for what they believe is right. Major props

    ReplyDelete