Saturday, January 7, 2012

idontevenknow

At Becca's house! Rachelle made a post here, so now I want to too, so here I am! (Becca says hi.)

Anyway, I'm having a horrible time coming up with any good stories, so here is a stream-of-consciousness one (Rachelle's suggestion):

Once upon a time there was a boy named Geoffrey who hated his name because Geoffrey is a stupid way to spell Jeffrey. Seriously. "Geoff"? It should be Jeff. So in his name-induced rage he drove home from college to confront his parents about it.
"WHAT THE HELL MOM," he shouted as he punched down the door.
"IT IS TIME YOU KNEW THE TRUTH," his mother replied, looking up from folding the laundry into various animals, like on a cruise ship.

Confused, Geoffrey sat down at the table. "What truth?" he asked, "Is there a deep family secret that I should know about?" This was it, he thought! Finally, the reason he had such a stupidly spelled name would be revealed. Maybe their family was on the run and they had to change his name, or maybe he had a very rich step-uncle named Geoffrey who promised to leave his inheritance to anyone who had to suffer the same name. He bit his lip, hopeful to know how his life came to be filled with strange spelling.

"The truth is, Geoffrey..." his mother paused to take a breath. "When you were born, and the doctors asked us what to name you...I was absolutely wasted."

THE END. or TO BE CONTINUED. One of the two. You people decide.

There you go. I'll have a decent story later, but this will do for now.
The inspiration comes from the fact that I really do hate the spelling Geoffrey. I actually didn't even realize that it was supposed to sound like Jeff for years. Once, during a speech in front of my students, I referred to a man named Geoff Marci and pronounced it "Gee-ohf-ree."  It was awkward. I was supposed to be demonstrating a really difficult forensics event, too, but started laughing so hard it kind of negated any usefulness of the demonstration.

Soooo anyway. I might update this again at some point tonight, but hopefully I'll write something tomorrow. Even if I can't think of a legitimate story, the ridiculous ones are fun to write, so maybe I'll do some of those for a while.

So. Bye for now. Hope you enjoyed my story.

/commentformotivation

1 comment:

  1. I am honored that I was there to witness the Geoff moment :D Also you should continue the story, I'm curious on what drink the mother was wasted on, and other shenanigans she may have particapated in lol

    ReplyDelete